Saturday, November 19, 2011

Reflections Of ...

"The way life used to be." Ah, those were the days. Diana Ross and the Supremes and all that 1960s malarkey. Happy times. Not that back in the '60s they had to worry too much in Mallorca or Spain about having a day off for reflection prior to an election. Old Franco knew a thing or two. In addition to being a dictator, he reckoned the Spanish population was either too thick or too apathetic to bother with things like democracy and voting.

If they were apathetic then, they still are today, if predictions as to abstentions in tomorrow's elections are anything to go by. But, I should hush my mouth. I'm not meant to talk about the elections today, as today is the day of reflection. Well, sort of. What is really means is that campaigning cannot take place, but there are certain limits also as to what can be said journalistically. Theoretically, no one is meant to pronounce on the day of reflection one way or the other or to be seen to be somehow influencing voting.

I don't for one moment imagine that anyone would be the slightest bit influenced by what I might or might not say on this blog when it comes to the elections, and that's for the simple reason that I imagine no one who reads it is in fact entitled to vote. But, as one is meant to remain silent on such matters, I shall do, which is why an article that I had written for today will be held over until tomorrow - it has to do with technocrats, but with a particularly Spanish angle; I'm sure you can't wait.

The day of reflection is reasonably well adhered to. Spanish TV was following yesterday's campaigning until the very last moment, just before midnight, and then promptly put on a ridiculous Jean-Claude Van Damme film; time for bed. The press today does report the campaigning but stops short of editorialising.

I know that had I editorialised and sent something off for today's "Bulletin", it wouldn't have been included. Fair enough. But I wonder why, therefore, there is a different column in which there are references to the election. I won't, for fear of the day of reflection police coming down on me, repeat what was said, but I fancy - know for sure - that had I written such things for today's paper, they wouldn't have gone in.

I suspect I know the reason why this other column was acceptable, and that's probably because had the "offending" part of it had to be removed there would have been a ruddy great white space. Or maybe it wasn't paid overly much attention to.

It is revealing that certain of my articles get vetoed by the paper. A recent one about Lidl was. I don't think it was critical; in fact I'm sure it wasn't. But no, too sensitive; might upset the commercial department. And too sensitive was one about the Bishop of Mallorca. Way too controversial and likely to offend staunch Catholics. There have been others. I am compiling a list of off-limits subjects.

There are tensions between editorial and marketing/sales. They occur in all areas of the media to differing degrees, but there is, or appears to me, a hyper-sensitivity locally. And this isn't solely down to tensions caused by commercial realities. There really are only two subjects that are off-limits in terms of expressing criticism or disrespect, and those are the royal family (quite unlike Britain therefore) and the Guardia. But a certain censorship does apply, as in, for instance, why the former employment of a particular local mayor is never spelt out. You do wonder why.

There is too much sensitivity and it occurs at what is seemingly the most trivial levels. One only needs to go back to the fuss that the "John Nelson" column in "Talk Of The North" caused to know how something written without any apparent wish to offend can be blown completely out of proportion.

The local communities and indeed the island are small, so there is a perhaps not unreasonable restraint shown, but this hyper-sensitivity does also place a restraint on vibrant and at times important discourse. The day of reflection is a rather different case, but it is nevertheless indicative of an understated tendency to censorship or self-censorship that has never been quite forgotten from the days of when Diana Ross was topping the charts.


Any comments to andrew@thealcudiaguide.com please.

No comments: