Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Still Waters Run Deep: After the floods and alternative gastronomy

Après le déluge.

Big weather events bring with them big weather stories. Those of being flooded out, those of cars stalled, those of roads closed. And then there are those of the great floods of the past, those of weather's not normally like that at this time of the year, with which someone disagrees, referring to the great deluge of ... whenever it may have been, if at all.

Everywhere you went, there was some post-flood cleaning up in progress. Restaurant Jardín, for example. Dani staring somewhat forlornly at a wide green hose. The Siesta 2 swimming-pool having to be pumped out and re-filled as it had gone an unpleasant colour of Sant Marti mountain plus muddy water plus whatever else. And everywhere you went, you might inadvertently come across the aftermath of the great rains - roads in the centre of Puerto Alcúdia under significant amounts of water, and the fire engines pumping away for all their worth, which makes you wonder how much a fire engine is worth and whether this worth can really be calculated in terms of water-pumping capability. And then ... big mistake, taking the turning towards the Condes, then an even bigger one to take the turning past the Viva Tropic. Still waters running deeper. Truly, truly I am sorry to the lady who I splashed. I did slow, I did brake (which is not really advisable), but I couldn't help it. Later, someone tells me that Spanish driving instruction includes advice to drive at as high a speed as possible through floods. This explains much. Splash, drench, curse.

The great weather event of 3 May will now pass into history, but for the moment it is another body blow, made no better by news of Ireland under a cloud.

But then to the local Eroski where the spirits rise a little. Not because of special offers on beer or the like, but because of the music. You can never be sure what you'll get over the PA in the supermarket. New Order "Regret". It makes shopping for aluminium foil positively uplifting, and you wonder ... what if I were to turn into the next aisle and there would be Hooky and Barney playing live. They aren't, but it seemed like a nice idea at the time. Which made me think ... Things you would never expect to find in your local Eroski. New Order would be one, but decent bacon might be another. Which made me think further.

A recent correspondent via the Alcudia forum was asking about the great English breakfast, so I set him a challenge - to unearth the best, in his opinion. Don't, please, for one moment think I'm about to do this as we all know where, even with the best intentions, identifying best of bars etc. can lead. But a humble visitor is a different matter, methinks, while the role of the full English is, in my view, sadly overlooked when it comes to all this carry-on about Mallorcan gastronomy. It may not be Mallorcan, but it is part of the Mallorcan scene. So from this has been spawned a further idea for this newspaper thing. The alternative gastronomy page. And I have found my "expert" alter egos. Their names are Pam and Olly (as in Pa amb Oli - ho, ho). They know who they are, as I told them yesterday morning. Bet you can't wait.

(I should, I feel, thank Seamus for providing the initial inspiration for Pam and Olly.)


I don't know, but I reckon this can qualify among our summer/holiday songs. The Four Tops, "Still Waters Run Deep":




Any comments to andrew@thealcudiaguide.com please.

No comments: