Friday, March 28, 2008

Always The Sun

Another day, another report. This one says that over 70% of holidaymakers coming to Spain prefer a beach and sun holiday to other forms of holiday. I'm not sure if this is a statement of the bleeding obvious or if it is surprising; one might have expected the number to be higher. There again, one judges these things on the Mallorca experience, and were the same study to be performed here, one suspects that this 70%+ would indeed be quite a bit higher. No, make that, one would know that it would be quite a bit higher.

The difference lies in what the mainland has to offer. While the report points to the fact that "cultural" tourism is doing well, one would - again - be surprised if it were not. Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, Granada, just a few places that have much to offer in a cultural way. One supposes that the Mallorcan tourism worthies look longingly at the mainland cultural tourist masses and think ... wouldn't mind a bit of that. But one just keeps coming back to the relative lack of a strong cultural heritage that would create a meaningful volume of alternative tourism, alternative that is to the beach and sun, which is the Mallorcan image.


To different matters, well one in particular. I have mentioned here, once or twice, Café del Món in Playa de Muro, which previously was Robin Hood. Georgi, who runs it, is basically knackered, so he's got it up for traspaso. If I knew anything about bars, I reckon I'd snap his hands off. But I don't, and if you remember me suggesting that bars, rather than showing old episodes of "Fools and Horses", should put on "The League Of Gentlemen", does rather speak volumes for my lack of knowledge. However, at a traspaso of 15,000 and an annual rent of 13,000, I reckon this is as close as anyone will get to a bargain (unless I'm completely misunderstanding him, and I do have a bit of a problem with the Argentinian accent). Seating, all told, for about 45, near to hotels, good winter trade. Not bad. Even without the winter business, this sounds ok. So if anyone fancies it, mail me.


QUIZ
Yesterday - Everything But The Girl. Today's title - song by punkish group who weren't punks.

(PLEASE REPLY TO andrew@thealcudiaguide.com AND NOT VIA THE COMMENTS THINGY HERE.)

No comments: