Friday, February 29, 2008

Pick A Pocket Or Two

Do you recall the ad for "The Guardian" newspaper, the one in which it looks as though a skinhead is about to attack a businessman, but it turns out he is going to push him away from falling scaffolding? Things are not always as they seem. I thought initially that it wasn't as it seemed. There was only one of them after all. I had always thought there would be two. The exchange ended with smiles, a few seconds later the day had been turned upside down. How long does it take to make a perfectly normal day less than normal? Not long at all.

It was because there was only one that I thought maybe it was not what immediately came to mind, that it had, after all, been just the offer of two carnations for two Germans who appeared enchanted at the flowers. I only saw her walk off as I pulled up. It was not as though I saw the whole thing. Then a few seconds passed before the realisation. He ran after her, I ran after him, but where the Hell had she gone? I drove off along the carretera, into the sides roads by the lake. Disappeared. Into thin air. No trace. Disappeared with 300 euros.

It happened in front of the Eroski Syp supermarket in Puerto Alcúdia, opposite the Ivory Playa. That was the other thing. It seemed like an innocuous place for it to happen. I should know better.

Description: apologies but I cannot help saying Romany appearance, woman, quite tall, long black hair, mid 40s perhaps, wearing I think a kind of leopard-skin affair.

Carnation sellers. They are not what they seem. Avoid them or raise a hue and cry or perhaps use that scream and finger-point of identification that was in "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers".


QUIZ
Yesterday - Gene Hunt - "The Jean Genie" (Bowie). Today's title - what musical? Very, very easy.

(PLEASE REPLY TO andrew@thealcudiaguide.com AND NOT VIA THE COMMENTS THINGY HERE.)

No comments: